To celebrate National Poetry Day, here are some of my favourite feminist slam poems. They are clever, moving, amazing, and about as far from the GCSE poetry anthology as you can get, thankfully. Some are long but they are totally worth the investment. Enjoy bubbelehs, enjoy.
*trigger warning*
Andrea Gibson - Letter to a playground bully from Andrea (age 8)
Sonya Renee - What women deserve
"Women do deserve better,
Women deserve choice"
I think I have linked to this on the blog before, but it is just so great.
Alix Olson - Subtle sister
"So I take back the whispers, the cute, mute act and the high pitched giggles,
Yeah I take them back
I won't avoid your stare evade your step
Nothing of that kind,
I won't help you help me victimise the only space that's mine."
(Unfortunately this video is cut with other footage - but its the only reasonable version I can find on Youtube).
And finally:
Mindi Nettifee - For young women who don't consider themselves feminists (the last nerve)
Who have I missed out? Please share your favourite feminist poems below!
More:
http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2012/03/27/future-of-feminism-telling-our-stories-out-loud/
*trigger warning*
Staceyann Chin - My first period. Also features a haiku about George Bush.
"Even Jesus had to pass through a punani
Angels and messengers aside
Mary had to lend passage to god
Or them Christians might still be Jews
Waiting for a christ that was stuck up the ass of some man
Who thought he could do what little girls do
Every day against our wishes"
"Even Jesus had to pass through a punani
Angels and messengers aside
Mary had to lend passage to god
Or them Christians might still be Jews
Waiting for a christ that was stuck up the ass of some man
Who thought he could do what little girls do
Every day against our wishes"
Andrea Gibson - Letter to a playground bully from Andrea (age 8)
"I am not 'always crying',
I am just thawing outside the lines."
Sonya Renee - What women deserve
"Women do deserve better,
Women deserve choice"
I think I have linked to this on the blog before, but it is just so great.
Alix Olson - Subtle sister
"So I take back the whispers, the cute, mute act and the high pitched giggles,
Yeah I take them back
I won't avoid your stare evade your step
Nothing of that kind,
I won't help you help me victimise the only space that's mine."
(Unfortunately this video is cut with other footage - but its the only reasonable version I can find on Youtube).
And finally:
Mindi Nettifee - For young women who don't consider themselves feminists (the last nerve)
Who have I missed out? Please share your favourite feminist poems below!
More:
http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2012/03/27/future-of-feminism-telling-our-stories-out-loud/
My favourite, Katie Makkai
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M6wJl37N9C0