Sunday, 18 September 2011

The Awesome/Outrageous Roundup


Oh hi there. I am now back from my sojourn in San Francisco. In honour of a return to the mundane, here are some interesting bits and pieces I've picked up over the last month.

The oldies are the goodies, right? Right?

Awesome:

Stuart Hall gives the best journalistic analysis of the rise of of neoliberalism in British politics that I have read: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/sep/12/march-of-the-neoliberals

Heart playing Crazy On You live in 1977. Everything about this is incredible. The intense fingerpicking solo intro, the singer's voice, the lead guitarist in open chested white silk blouse and wiggling snake hips, the bit where they unexpectedly all start singing together, the triple harmonized solo, and to top it all THE FUCKING HIGH KICK AT THE END. I can't get over how great this is, must be one of the greatest performances of all time. I have to watch it again right now.

Well interesting piece by Maeghan Winter about hair covering amongst Orthodox Jewish women: http://www.believermag.com/issues/201109/?read=article_winter

My piece on transphobia in radical feminism was cross-posted at The Transadvocate: http://www.transadvocate.com/you-cant-smash-patriarchy-with-transphobia.htm

Awesome/Outrageous:

Awesome - action from Amnesty/Change.org attempting to save life of Troy Davis, a man sentenced to execution despite considerable evidence in his favour. Outrageous - case of justice miscarriage and legal unfairness. http://action.amnesty.org.uk/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1194&ea.campaign.id=11962&utm_source=social&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=deathpenalty&utm_content=troy_sharefb

This: http://www.stylist.co.uk/stylist-network/why-having-a-penis-is-worth-10000#image-rotator-2

Jenna Marbles chats shit for a while, on the topic of "How to trick people into thinking you're good looking". I like her unashamed brashness. Recommended to me by a friend I made in San Francisco: http://youtu.be/OYpwAtnywTk


Outrageous:

Links to info about arsecrack nonsense-peddler Tom Martin suing LSE's gender department for 'anti-male bias' (the silly season is officially open):
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23983895-former-student-sues-lse-over-its-gender-bias-against-men.do
http://www.thefword.org.uk/blog/2011/09/on_tom_martins_
http://toomuchtosayformyself.com/2011/09/17/tom-martin-the-lse-and-the-missing-minister/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/sep/07/gender-studies-anti-discrimination-case

I mean, what? Just... what?! If this comes off I'm totally suing African Studies courses for discrimination against white people and stuff.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...