Sunday, 4 September 2011

You can't smash patriarchy with transphobia


You should totally check out Bornstein's book Gender Outlaw. It's awesome. 

I spent a lot of time thinking about radical feminist transphobia whilst writing my undergrad dissertation (on whether trans theoretical and radical feminist ideologies are fundamentally at odds). When writing it, I treated the conflict as feminist history that had really been put to bed by writers like Sandy Stone, Patrick Califia and Kate Bornstein (above). It's strange and upsetting, but then perhaps not so surprising, to see that feminist transphobia is alive and well outside of the ivory tower.


You will be pleased to find that this article is marginally less wanky than my dissertation: http://www.thefword.org.uk/features/2011/09/radical_feminism_transphobia

1 comment:

  1. In this car, in this car/somebody's bound to get burned/I know, I know/'Cos I've been watching the road turn.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...